Friday, February 18, 2011

Fantasy All Star Game

Earlier today on the local sports AM radio station here in Salt Lake, 1320 KFAN, Ben Bagley and Britton Johnsen conducted their own fantasy All Star draft for the NBA. They were inspired by how the NHL conducted their All Star game this season. The two leading vote getters became team captains and chose their teammates.

I was intrigued by the idea that I consulted with a good buddy and big sports fan Brandon Hill. (Brandon and I did our weekly picks of the top 25 college football games and bowl games last season). He and I decided to do the same thing. We drafted our players and will be competing against each other with fantasy style points. The following were our draft results. I picked tails in a coin toss, it being heads gave Brandon first pick. Note that only the 24 players who have been selected as all stars were available for us to pick. I will list his team first:

1 LeBron James
2 Kobe Bryant
3 Derrick Rose
4 Dirk Nowtizki
5 Carmelo Anthony
6 Deron Williams
7 Ray Allen
8 Paul Pierce
9 Joe Johnson
10 Chris Bosh
11 Kevin Garnett
12 Tim Duncan
Brandon selected the following for his starting lineup: Rose, Bryant, James, Nowitzki, Duncan.

My team was selected in the following order:
1 Kevin Durrant
2 Dwyane Wade
3 Amar'e Stoudemire
4 Russell Westbrook
5 Dwight Howard
6 Pau Gasol
7 Chris Paul
8 Manu Ginobili
9 Rajon Rondo
10 Blake Griffin
11 Kevin Love
12 Al Horford
My starting lineup is Westbrook, Wade, Durrant, Stoudemire, Howard.

The point categories are Field Goal %, Free Throw %, Points, Three pointers made, Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks, and Turnovers. For all you non fantasy players, we will add up all of our totals of those statistics and go head to head to see which team has the overall better score. There is a total of 9 points. For example, if Brandon swept me in every category he would win 9-0. Keep in mind a 4-4-1 tie is possible.

Enjoy the All-Star weekend festivities. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment